I can’t deny that I have an obsession with snacks. Throughout the day I can be found constantly grazing, to the point where I almost always have some kind of snack in my bag in case of emergency (I wish I could tell you that I was exaggerating, but…). One of my favourite snacks (especially in the morning) are muesli bars as I love the crunchy texture and I find they fill me up until lunchtime, but knowing the amount of sugar that’s packed into some of the big brands I recently decided to try my hand at making my own. And I have to say they turned out delicious! Even the husband gave the tick of approval (which is no mean feat!). The dates give the muesli bar a natural sweetness while the oats ensure they are filling enough to get you through to your next meal.
Prep time: 10-15 minutes
Makes: around 9 slices
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 cup of pitted dates
- 1 cup of rolled oats
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons cocao powder
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut.
- Pit the dates (or buy them already pitted like I did) and blend them in a food processor or blender until they form a dough-like consistency
- Thrown everything else in and blend.
- Line a parchment tray with baking paper and transfer the mixture to the tray, pressing down until flat.
- Cover with cling down and put them in the fridge or freezer to firm for around 20-30 minutes.
- Remove and chop into bars.