I’m no chef. I’m not really even a baker. I don’t do any of the cooking (except assisting with the toast when the soon-to-be husband makes eggs) and our oven doesn’t work properly. I pretend to be upset by that, but for someone who doesn’t like cooking, it’s actually quite convenient. Having said that I do love food, and snacks especially; I’m always thinking about what to snack on. So when no-bake protein balls became the latest ‘thing’ I thought to my self ‘hey, maybe even I could do that?‘ (spoiler alert: I could, yay!).
Here’s a recipe that I adapted from a number of different recipes based on what ingredients I had in the house.
Prep time: 15-20 minutes (or, if you’re completely unco in the kitchen like me, more like 40 minutes. Ha.)
Makes: around 12-14, depending on the size
Ingredients (approximates only as I didn’t have any measuring cups. You know, ’cause I don’t cook. Double ha.):
- 1 cup vanilla protein powder (I had this already and I didn’t want to buy chocolate protein powder)
- 1 heaped tablespoon cocoa (see above)
- 3/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3/4 cup Uncle Toby’s quick oats
- Desiccated or flaked coconut (or shredded like me if you have it already).
- Mix everything except the coconut together in a large bowl.
- Realise the bowl isn’t big enough and it’s too hard to mix by hand anyway*.
- Throw the mixture in the smoothie blender and hope for the best*.
- Blend. Wish you did that earlier.
- Roll into balls and coat in coconut.
- Store in fridge until firm.
*You can skip steps 2 and 3. No wonder it took me 40 minutes…
Verdict: Success! One or two of these is enough to keep me going for a few hours thanks to the protein, and the honey makes them sweet enough to satisfy my cravings, so these are a winner in my book.